I collected all the fleece squares from the service project and cut them into 3 1/2" and 4 1/2" squares. Then I stitched them together into patchwork squares. I added brown fleece borders and brown fleece backs (from Jo-Ann's) to create small baby sized quilts. For one blanket, I ran out of the brown fleece so used a purple fleece remnant from Wal-Mart.
The Wal-Mart fleece stretched a lot as I sewed. I ended up ripping out two of the side seams and re-sewing them!
I did not add batting or quilt them. I sewed the front and back with right sides together (leaving a small opening), then turned them right side out, and hand sewed the opening shut.
I donated all three to our local Pregnancy Resource Center to bless a new mom.