I had found a tutorial on Pinterest for the Starflower block and was waiting for the right time to use it. This was it! I had to alter the block size to match the size of the embroidery blocks.
The majority of the embroidered blocks had pastel colors, so that's what I decided to go with for the starflower blocks, too. I purchased the fabrics at Jo-Ann's in Springfield, MO in October 2012. I chose pastel solids and a coordinating print for the back.
I started stitching on January 22, 2013 - I was 6 1/2 months pregnant. I stitched up enough blocks to fill in the front and to have some for the extra blocks on the back too.
The tutorial makes two starflower blocks at a time. After I made the first two, I decided to switch the placement of the two yellows. These first two blocks (along with two more to match) went on the back of the quilt.
I quilted it using my new-to-me darning foot on my Bernina 930 Record. I used a stipple design and was impressed with how much better the quilting turned out than my previous stippling attempts!
This was the first time I used something other than a single fabric for the quilt back. I used the same print for the binding as the backing. I finished it on February 14th - just a month and a half before my son was born!
Once finished, I was able to show it to Summer and her son so he could see what became of his embroidery blocks!