Do you remember how it worked? We set some rules (that
Let's look back at how Heather's quilt came to be!
Heather really felt that the quilt did not need anything more added to it from a design perspective, but she wanted the quilt large enough to use as a throw.
She decided to add a 10" border to the top and bottom and a 5" border to each side using a light colored print fabric with hints of purple and turquoise.
The back is pieced with purple and gray fabric, and she used a low-loft polyester batting.
To quilt it, she started by hand quilting with turquoise thread around the feathers in the center block. So unexpected - and my favorite part!
Then she used a walking foot to sitch in the ditch to quilt the rest of the quilt.
She finished the quilt with a purple binding. The quilt finished around 68" x 56". A great throw quilt size!
Isn't she beautiful?!
Now let's look at how my quilt came to be!
I had several ideas for borders that I considered adding. However, I decided that none of them would actually make the quilt better. They would just be adding for the sake of adding. So I decided to leave the quilt as is and just "quilt the life into it." Or quilt it to death. Or spend hours upon hours sitting at my sewing machine.
I pieced a back using red fabric and various aqua scraps. I used a low-loft polyester batting.
I used my walking foot to quilt parts of it, but also used my darning foot to free motion quilt other parts. All quilting was done on my Bernina Record 930.
I used the same red fabric for the binding that is on the back. The quilt finished at 48" x 48".
We both enjoyed this collaborative project very much and have already started brainstorming what we could do next!