I had learned quite a bit after making the baby clothes quilt. I knew a better interfacing was needed in order for the finished quilt to be cuddly and not stiff.
After a few conversations with Matt, a plan was born! I waited patiently for the best combination of sales and coupons and ordered LSU cotton and fleece fabric from Jo-Ann's.
I cut each shirt apart at the seams and ironed on the interfacing. I measured all the shirt designs and cut all shirts the same size square based on the largest design.
I sewed one of the LSU cotton fabrics as a sashing between each t-shirt. I used the second LSU cotton fabric as a larger border around the quilt.
My mom had recently had a very large king size quilt machine quilted by Kathy Michel, a longarmer that lives about an hour from me. I decided to let her quilt this one too! I finished the top on October 28th and took it to Kathy a couple days later.
I used the LSU fleece as the backing for the quilt. It needed to be slightly wider, but not much. Instead of doubling the width of the fleece, I decided to cut the fleece diagonally. Then I moved one of the halves down until the width was what I needed, then sewed it back together along the cut edge. The method worked perfectly!
I decided that the added weight of the interfacing and fleece backing wouldn't require batting, so I didn't add any! Kathy quilted it with an all-over loops design. I received the quilt back on December 22nd. The weight and feel of the quilt was exactly as I had hoped!
I immediately started binding it so I could gift it before the end of the year. The quilt was finished December 26th!
Matt absolutely loves the quilt! His family uses it regularly as a throw quilt in their living room.